Damage to the body tissue by heat, chemicals, radiation etc, is known as burns. Types of Burns are classified as first degree, second degree, and third degree of burns. Their causes, symptoms, home remedies and prevention are discussed here
Types of burns:
First degree burn – it affects only superficial layer of the skin and is mild.
Second degree burns – it affects the epidermis, the superficial layer and also dermis, the deep layer of skin
Third degree burns – it affects the deep layer of skin, nerve endings, and blood vessels may be destroyed.
Causes of Burns:
- Electric current
- Scalding liquids
- Toxic fumes
- Kitchen accidents
Symptoms of Burns:
Symptoms of First Degree Burns:
- Reddening skin
- Blistering of skin
- Peeling of skin
Symptoms of Second Degree Burns:
- Blistering of skin
- Extreme redness
- Fluid loss
- Pale, cold skin
- Blue tinge on fingernails and lips
Symptoms of Third Degree Burns:
- Burns may be numb and painless
- Dry, leathery skin
- Charred skin
- Accumulation of fluids
Treatment of Burns:
First degree burn can be treated by home remedies. Second and Third degree burns need immediate attention to doctor
- Applying beaten egg on the burns cures it.
- Apply ice packs to the burnt area for 10-15minutes.
- Alovera is highly effective in treating burns. So apply alovera gel on the burnt area.
- Applying papaya fruit over the burnt area helps in curing burns.
- Apply olive oil or sunflower oil on burns. This heals the scalds, blisters.
- Apply liquid paraffin or petroleum jelly on burns. This reduces cracks in skin and prevents infection.
- Wrapping the burnt area with plantain leaf is a common method of treating burns
- Applying extract of onion juice over the burn. This relieves pain.
- Immerse burnt area in cold milk .this soothens the wounded area.
- Applying lotions containing vitamin A or vitamin E helps in healing the wound caused by burns.
Prevention of burns:
- Handle hot objects and hot liquids carefully
- Follow house hold safety measures.
- Know about fire exit places in home and work place and shopping areas.
- Don’t wear long, loose sleeves while cooking.
- Children should be taught safety measure.
- Apply sunscreen before going in sun to avoid sun burns.